Thursday, January 5, 2012

Amish Carriage Making



I had no idea Jack was Amish. He didn't have the Dutch accent over the phone when he was telling me how much he enjoyed my videos on YouTube, as well as other vids, as he put it, on YouTube. He was telling me about his business website , not mentioning what his business is, and his FaceBook page. He was anxious to meet and told me how to get to his house. Just because he lives in 'Bird'n Hand' PA, which is outside 'Intercourse' by the way, I still didn't think he was Amish. There aren't any Amish who watch vids, have a websites, a facebook page or would even be aloud to have such pleasantries. Their religion strictly forbids it.......or so it would seem to the tourist. And, so it would seem to me, at least, until I met Jack Myer.


His house didn't look Amish, looked more like a mini southern mansion. 'Jag' in driveway, and there on the back porch steps, telling the Gardner what to do between calls on his Blackberry, was an Amishman.


"Hey JR, come on up here."


Jack gave me a complete tour that day of his land, his house, I met his two children (who will be in the vids that follow) and his barn in the back yard where he keeps his little collection, as he calls it.
He has the largest collection of carriages that I have ever seen. And they weren't Amish Buggies either.


News Link  •  Police StateAmish men jailed for refusing to pay buggy fines
01-13-2012  •  www.cbsnews.com 
A group of Amish men were sent to jail in western Kentucky Thursday for refusing to pay fines for breaking a state highway law that requires their horse-drawn buggies to be marked with orange reflective triangles. 





No comments:

Post a Comment